Statistics Specialist | Tufts Technology Services | Tufts University
Tufts Technology Services (TTS) is seeking a responsible applicant in the role of Statistics Specialist to support the Academic Data Services (ADS) Team within Research Technology at Tufts University. ADS provides a suite of data services including support for statistics, data visualization, GIS, digital humanities, and application development. ADS also manages the Tufts Data Labs, which are teaching and research-computing labs designed to foster collaboration and innovation around data analysis, visualization, and design across all campuses and departments. More information on the Data Lab can be found at datalab.tufts.edu.
This Statistics Specialist position works closely with the Statistics and Research Technology Specialist to provide statistical methods and software support for teaching and research across all campuses of Tufts. Responsibilities include developing statistics learning resources and workshops; consulting on student, staff and faculty projects; conducting data/statistical analyses; holding walk-in office hours; and supporting operations at the Tufts Data Labs in Boston and Medford as needed.
The ideal candidate will have strong academic qualifications combined with demonstrated quantitative analysis and research skills. Preference will be given to applicants with the following credentials:
- Undergrad or graduate degree in Statistics, Economics, Public Health, Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or related field with an emphasis on applied statistics.
- Advanced knowledge of statistical methods.
- Strong working knowledge of STATA or R.
- Working knowledge of a secondary statistical software such as SAS, SPSS, MatLab, EpiData.
- Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite, especially Microsoft Excel.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively on a team.
- Strong customer service focus.
The ideal candidate will have some of the following qualifications:
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems (GIS) and ESRI ArcGIS software.
- Experience with statistical web application development tools (e.g. Tableau, RShiny, Django).
- Understanding of data management and data cleaning protocols, e.g. OpenRefine, tidyR, or equivalent.
- Familiarity with concepts behind high-performance computing (aka parallel computing).
This is a part-time, academic year staff position with the possibility of renewal. Hours can range between a minimum of 20 and maximum of 35 per week between Monday and Friday. Potential starting date of September 1, 2018.
Based on experience and expertise.
To apply for the Statistics Specialist Position, please send your resume & a cover letter to Carolyn Talmadge, Senior GIS Specialist & Data Lab Manager, TTS.