Northbound Ventures, a Somerville-based business consulting firm specializing in sustainable strategy and design, is seeking part-time research assistants on a Plate Waste Study project. The team will be helping with data collection for a study investigating student lunchroom eating habits in local public schools. More information is listed below:
Job Title: Part-time Research Assistant, Plate Waste Study
Reports To: Research Director
This is a part-time position supporting data collection for a research study investigating student lunchroom eating habits in Boston-area public schools. Data collection will occur Monday-Friday from approximately 9am-4pm for 6-8 weeks beginning in early October. If interested and available, qualified applicants will be eligible to join a second round of data collection beginning in late Spring 2019.
Research assistants are primarily responsible for supporting the collection of student plate waste data in a public school setting. Duties primarily consist of collecting and accurately recording the weights of school lunch components remaining on students’ trays at the end of the lunch period. This is a great opportunity for undergraduate and graduate students studying nutrition, public health, or education to gain field experience in primary data collection.
Responsibilities and Duties:
- Arrive punctually at school study sites on assigned days. All study sites are proximal to public transportation and carpooling options may also be available for team members.
- Perform daily set-up and breakdown of data collection sites, including labeling lunch trays, and assisting with clean-up after data collection.
- Collect and store lunch trays from 3rd-8th grade students at the end of each lunch period for measurement.
- Accurately weigh and record lunch meal components in a spreadsheet on a laptop computer.
- Complete other study-related tasks as requested.
- High School diploma (or equivalent) required, bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Availability during weekday work hours (9am-5pm) from October 1, 2018 – November 20, 2018. Candidates are not required to work all days per week, but must be available for the entire shift on days they select. Preference will be given to candidates with greater availability / flexibility.
- Ability to stand for 4-6 hours and work in a loud, fast-paced environment (school cafeteria).
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel and ability to type 35-50 words per minute.
- Punctuality, attention to detail, and a strong commitment to advancing knowledge through rigorous data collection.
- Positive attitude, flexibility, and ability to work well with others.
- Must pass criminal background check.
- $15 per hour. This is a temporary position and does not include healthcare or other benefits.
- Course credit, as relevant and arranged with candidate’s academic institution.
Interested candidates should email Scott Richardson at email@example.com with the subject line “Boston-area plate waste RA inquiry”. Please include your expected weekday availability for all dates between Oct 1 and Nov 20.