Suddenly Busy

It’s amazing that only two weeks ago we were still grooving along at a relaxed pace, finishing summer projects, booking fall travel, and planning our work for the year.  Then, PRESTO!  New students arrive. Continuing students arrive.  Relaxed pace disappears!

Since last Tuesday, there has hardly been a time when we haven’t had a current student or prospective student in the Admissions Office asking questions, checking in for an interview or information session, or just stopping by to say hey.  Fletcher life is in full buzz.  My office shares a wall with our Hall of Flags, and I can hear the waves of students chatting as they go from class to class.  The School’s speaker series have helped students fill some early-semester “free” time; pizza lunches, the semester’s first meeting for student organizations, and welcome back events complete the schedule.

There’s always excitement and expectation at the start of a new academic year.  I hear professors say that working with new students and feeling the annual potential is what revs them up year after year.  That’s true for us, too, in our ultra-cyclical admissions work, though I would also say that our goal to do the same work better keeps life interesting.