Here’s your answer (though you haven’t yet asked)

It’s spring break for our students this week and the building is quiet.  Though students wandering into the office can distract us from our work, it’s generally a welcome distraction.  On the other hand, I need to motor through some tasks this week, and I’ll take advantage of the quiet.

Today I’m going to brazenly steal from myself, and re-post a list of questions (and their related answers) that come up each year.  Maybe one of these answers will help you as you scramble to collect all the information you need.  I’ll post more questions and answers as they come in throughout the spring.  For now, here we go:

Q: I would like to pursue a joint degree. Will Fletcher allow me to defer my enrollment?
A: Fletcher will approve a deferral of up to one year (two semesters) to allow students to start a joint degree at another institution. Prospective students needing more than one year before enrolling should plan to reapply. Anyone wanting a deferral needs to request one — it isn’t automatic — but you can submit your request by email.

Q: I’m not doing a joint degree, but I want to defer for other reasons.  Can I?
A: Fletcher allows deferrals for up to one year so that candidates can pursue professional opportunities.

Q: Tell me more about how to request the deferral.
A: Follow these instructions.

Q: The law/business/other school with which I want to pursue a joint degree is not on Fletcher’s list of “official” joint or dual degrees. How will that work?
A: Fletcher will work with you to arrange the joint degree that suits your career and study goals. The process is to transfer courses from your other program so that you also receive Fletcher credit for them.  When I speak to students putting together an ad hoc joint degree, I always suggest that they contact the registrar as soon as they enroll at Fletcher. You won’t be able to transfer in your first-year torts/finance/language class, but with careful homework, you will find classes that meet Fletcher’s requirements. (You should also be sure to work with the other school. Our experience is that many other schools are less flexible than Fletcher.)

Q: Can I make my decision after the deadline named in my admission letter?
A: No. There are many administrative reasons why Fletcher needs to know how many students will enroll, but we don’t expect you to care about that. On the other hand, we want you to remember that there are students waiting on the waitlist, and we hope you will respect their need for a speedy answer as to whether they will be admitted. We won’t know if we need to go to the waitlist until we have heard from the students we have already admitted.

Q: Do I really need to respond officially?  Can’t I just email you?
A: We enjoy your emails, but we really prefer you respond through the online system or with the enrollment reply form.  It helps us keep track of information.

Q: I hope to work when I’m at Fletcher. How can I arrange it?
A: There are many administrative jobs available each year at Fletcher, as well as elsewhere at the University. Fletcher jobs are usually “advertised” via a student email list. Jobs elsewhere at the University can be found through the Student Employment office.

Q: What about research or teaching assistantships?
A: These positions are arranged directly with the hiring department or professor. It can be difficult for you to arrange a teaching assistant position for your first semester, regardless of your qualifications, but there are often opportunities in the second semester. Many professors hire research assistants in the fall, so even first-year students will be eligible. Research assistants are paid an hourly wage, while teaching assistants are often paid per course. (Note that teaching assistants do not teach Fletcher students. Professors teach, but the assistants might arrange course materials or do other “behind the scenes” work.)

Q: How do second-year scholarships compare to those awarded to first-year students?
A: We know that there are schools out there that reserve much of their scholarship budget to distribute to second-year students.  That isn’t Fletcher’s model.  We split our scholarship budget between first-year and second-year students.  Students who remain in good academic standing can expect their awards to be renewed for the second year.  Students who do not receive a scholarship in the first year can also apply for a scholarship for the second year, but funding cannot be guaranteed.

Q: What classes will be offered in 2010-2011?
A: The schedules for next year aren’t set yet, but many courses are offered on a yearly basis.  You can see the class schedules for 2009-2010 on our web site.

Q: I was put on the waitlist.  Can I request feedback now?
A: Although the waitlist is not the same as being offered admission, it’s also not the same as being denied admission.  We only offer feedback to applicants once their applications are no longer active, which is not the case for those on the waitlist.  So that means we’ll ask you to make your own determination of what materials will help strengthen your application at this point.

6 thoughts on “Here’s your answer (though you haven’t yet asked)

• April 15, 2010 at 9:40 am

Hi Chantal,

Thanks for your message. You’re a few minutes ahead of me, as I’m just about to post something on where enrollment stands. Check the blog later today for your answer.

Thanks!
    Jessica

• April 15, 2010 at 9:18 am

Hi,

I am one of the people who is unfortunately on the “wait list.” I have enjoyed reading the admission blog and I can’t stop checking and checking to see the new posts! I have been interested in Fletcher since Freshman year in college!!! and now six years later, I’m this close…. I hope the process will go faster so I can know whether I can update my facebook status to say I am a “fletcherite” (?) !!!

Chantal

• March 23, 2010 at 8:02 pm

Hi Subhash,

Thanks for keeping up with the blog. As I’m sure you ave already figured out, posting something every day is beyond me, but I do try to provide a few posts each week. The content through the next few months may not be relevant until you apply, but in the fall, there will be info that I hope applicants can also use when applying to other schools, not just Fletcher.

Not many people comment throughout the year, and I’m enjoying this nice month of more interaction with readers.

Thanks,
    Jessica

• March 23, 2010 at 5:35 pm

It sounds silly–I am a year away from applying to Fletcher but I already feel as if I am a part of the school. And I can’t stop checking your blog at least once a day.

Your warm blog with personal touch excites me at the prospect of being a part of this great institution ASAP.

Thank you,
    Subhash

• March 22, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Thanks so much, Cleia! You should definitely keep checking the blog, even now that decisions have been released. Once we’ve covered a bit more basic business, I’ll turn to writing more about the community and preparing to enroll.

More soon!
    Jessica

• March 22, 2010 at 6:24 pm

Jessica,

I’m one of the lucky people who were offered admission already, but I still cannot kick the habit of reading your blog everyday.

Seriously, though, the service you provide here is priceless – it is both incredibly informative, while also giving Fletcher a “face”, and a very warm one at that!

Keep up the great work.

Cleia