Introducing the 2011-12 Admissions Interns

At the beginning of each academic year, the Admissions Office pulls together a team of interns to support our work.  These industrious students answer phones, reply to emails, give the occasional tour of the building, lead information sessions, and sub for interviewers who thoughtfully decline to share their germs with applicants.  Less interesting, but most vital (particularly in January), they open mail, date stamp, alphabetize, staple, file…file…file…file…. We couldn’t do everything without them.  So let’s have them introduce themselves.  Next time you phone the office, you’ll know a little more about the person at the other end of the line.

First, Hillary, who actually started her work here during the summer after she relocated to the area.

I started my post college career at an investment consulting firm in Cambridge, MA.  After two years of spreadsheets, I left to join the Peace Corps in Benin, where I served as a small-enterprise development volunteer.  In Benin, I worked mostly with rural women’s groups and helped to set up microfinance groups.  I arrived home in May and started working at the Fletcher Office of Admissions in July.  I am a Boston native and I am so happy to be back in the area after two years abroad.  At Fletcher, I am studying International Business Relations and Development Economics and I hope to work in emerging markets investing.

Next, Ariel:

Hi!  My name is Ariel and I’m a first-year MIB student, new to Fletcher and the Admissions Office.  Originally from North Dakota, I graduated from high school in a small suburb of Los Angeles.  I attended American University for my undergraduate studies and spent time living and studying abroad in Cairo, Egypt and Madrid, Spain before coming to Fletcher.

My prior work experience was in marketing roles at SAP, the major enterprise software company, and Lufthansa German Airlines.  As a Thomas R. Pickering Graduate Foreign Affairs Fellow, I’ll be joining the Foreign Service and working for the U.S. State Department after graduation.

At Fletcher, I’m specializing in Strategic Management & International Consultancy and International Negotiation & Conflict Resolution.  I’m excited to work in the Admissions Office this year, and I look forward to hearing from you during the application process!

More introductions to follow, later this week.