Fletcher life after applications

Continuing on the essay theme from last week, first-year MIB student, Vincent, makes a link between his pre-admission essays and his post-enrollment writing.  (Note that MIB applicants submit three essays with their application.  I wouldn’t want MALD, MA, LLM, or PhD applicants to panic when they read what Vincent has written below!)

Where it all began..

How the tables have turned!  This time last year, I was starting to put the finishing touches on my applications; this year, it’s the finishing touches on essays of a different kind.

As I think back on it now, writing those application essays may have seemed tedious, but was by far the best part of the application.  Those essays are the beginning of an education from Fletcher.  They forced me to identify what it was I wanted from a graduate school, and more importantly, why I would want that school to be Fletcher.  Admission is a two-way street; it needs to be a match for both sides.  I think this point sometimes gets lost in the maelstrom of schools and application deadlines, but it’s an important thing to remember.

As each week at the School flies by, I think back to those essays.  The personal statement, the dual perspective of business and international affairs, and the chance to tell the Committee on Admissions about yourself, each one hits on an aspect of what it is to be a student at Fletcher.  I can’t remember how many hours I spent editing and rereading those essays.  I’m sure I pulled out a few more hairs than I would have liked.  But now, as I edit and reread course essays at the end of my first semester, I’m very happy I put the time and effort into those my application essays a year ago.  Those three essays put me on the right track to prepare for life at Fletcher.  I hope they will do the same for you.

In case anyone’s worried, my hair has grown back.