Emma’s summer recap

Emma and friends outside the US CapitolWelcome (back) new and old Fletcher family! The past few weeks have been a joyful reunion for the returning students and an exciting time to meet the new students. Summer flew by, but I accomplished many objectives, including wrapping up an internship, completing the GIS class, and prepping for the upcoming year. I spent most of the summer in Medford, but I also managed to get to Cape Cod, attend two weddings, and go to Washington D.C. to visit some Fletcher friends over the Fourth of July.

I wrapped up the summer with a lovely week in Paris and London before classes started again. In London, I visited my friend and old roommate from Lehigh, who is working there temporarily. Then I hit all my favorite spots in Paris, ate some incredible food, and made new friends in my hostel.

Now we are back in full swing with classes. Luckily I am only taking three classes this semester—Environmental Economics at Tufts, Energy, Entrepreneurship, and Finance, and Global Political Economy—but I still find myself incredibly busy. I started a new internship at Sustainable Energy Advantage, which I got through the MassCEC Clean Energy Internships. I highly recommend using the MassCEC database as a resource for anyone trying to get involved in the energy space around Massachusetts.

Emma in ParisI am also the TA for the new Public Diplomacy in the Digital Information Age with Professor Tara Sonenshine, which has been going great so far. In the spring, I helped her with a career workshop and I am happy to continue working with her on the fall course. We are bringing in several impressive speakers to talk about different aspects of public diplomacy, including international education, propaganda, sports, and media. I also will complete some work as a Research Assistant for Professor Kowalczyk on macroeconomics and international trade this semester.

Lastly, but at the top of my mind, is the looming capstone I need to complete by the end of the year. Everyone seems to be in different stages of the research and writing process. My strategy is to remain calm, focus on myself, and map out a plan. It is unproductive to worry about where others are in their process. I have never failed to finish a project, and I am not about to start now. The end is in sight, but I will cherish the time left with my friends and colleagues.