The value of a little Perspective

Something I’ve always loved about Fletcher’s physical space is how it lends itself to interesting little corners and curios. Our building is a bit weird, in that’s it’s actually three buildings, but also one building. Fletcher rooms are all located in the Goddard, Cabot, or Mugar buildings, some of which years ago were discrete structures, but which are now connected into a single agglomeration, more artfully in some places than in others. I’m grateful to have an office with a window, for example, but rather than looking outside I get to peer down a floor to the reading room in Ginn Library, surely freaking out the occasional student who looks up to see me spacing out and emptily staring down at them. Other windows in the school give a view between floors of the adjacent building, or into the middle of a stairwell, and there are at least a few study spaces tucked underneath staircases. The effect in some places is a bit Hogwarts-ish, making it no surprise that the stately main reading room in the library is known informally as the Harry Potter Room.

One of my favorite little “tucked away” places at Fletcher, not in the least bit hidden but still somehow easy to pass without stopping to appreciate it, is the Fletcher Perspectives Gallery. Located just off the main lobby of Ginn Library, the Gallery is a student-curated showcase of photography from Fletcher community members, sharing their experiences with people and places around the world. It’s been housed in Ginn since 2001, though I’m a bit embarrassed to admit that it’s only been in the past few years that I’ve trained myself to wander through it semi-regularly. Thank goodness for Pavlovian conditioning, because every time I take a look I’m rewarded with some stellar photography from a great variety of places. Currently featured are shots from Malaysia, Oman, Ireland, Lebanon, Kenya, and Canada, among other locations. We’re not talking quick iPhone snaps, either; one reliable feature of every Fletcher class is that it will contain a few truly gifted photographers. You can check out currently featured photos on the micro site above. The Admissions office has been fortunate enough to nab some submissions from past years to add a little cultural flair to our otherwise pretty functional workspace, and having a few of these photos close by reminds me to pop into Ginn from time to time to check out the latest additions. Whenever you have the opportunity to visit us, be sure to take a few minutes to drop by the Fletcher Perspectives Gallery!