Student bloggers: Emma looks toward the home stretch of her Fletcher career

Emma and friends skiing in NHWow. I am sure I share the shock, sadness, and excitement of being at the final stretch of my time at Fletcher with the rest of my cohort. This winter break is probably one of the last times I have a month off with no full-time responsibilities for a long time. Some friends and I wrapped up the winter break with an impromptu Fletcher ski trip at Mount Sunapee in New Hampshire. I went home for the holidays, caught up with friends and families, and celebrated a newborn baby in the family. Now, I am getting ready to jump into the last spring semester of my academic career.

Last semester was challenging balancing an internship, TA position, and classwork, but I felt more prepared than last year, coming in as a seasoned veteran among a new Fletcher cohort. At my internship with Sustainable Energy Advantage, I learned more about regional renewable energy policies and the regulatory environment. I also had a great experience working with Professor Sonenshine on the new Public Diplomacy in the Global Information Age class. I attended some conferences, including the Sports Diplomacy Conference, which generated an interesting discussion about the World Cup and international issues, such as human rights, globalization, and nationalization.

Emma fall leavesThere were many fun social events last semester as we cautiously navigated the lingering COVID pandemic, including the return of culture nights. In the fall, we had Asia and Africa nights, where Fletcher students show off their cultures through dance, performance, and music while enjoying delicious cultural cuisines. I also spent more time exploring the Boston area, including the Mount Auburn Cemetery (which is gorgeous in the fall) and the Institute of Contemporary Art. Other than that, I spent lots of time with my Fletcher friends going out to try new restaurants, attending concerts, and enjoying each other’s company.

I am looking forward to this upcoming semester, knowing it will be full of surprises, tears, and laughter. While my main focus will be on graduating, I want to enjoy this time with my Fletcher family and make the most out of my last few months in school. I plan on going to Portugal for spring break with a group of Fletcher friends, which will be exciting since none of us have been before. Anyway, I have no shortage of tasks this semester, including finishing my capstone, hunting for a job, and thinking about the future. So, for now, até logo!